Translated and adapted by Grant Swart from the original work of Johannes de Koning
RELIGIOUS SLAVE, OR CHILD OF GOD?
– the all important truth in understanding Christian freedom
Is your relationship with God that of a slave, or a child? It is an important question and one about which Galatians 4:1-10 makes one ponder.
“1. Additionally, I need to state the following: While an heir is still a minor, his position does not differ markedly from that of a slave, even though the inheritance belongs to him.
2. Until such time as determined by his father, he will remain under the supervision of guardians and his possessions will be controlled by his managers.
3. That is how it is with us as well. While we were yet spiritually immature, we were slaves of legalistic religious rules.
4. Once the time which had been determined by God had arrived, He sent His Son to us. He was born of an earthly mother and from the time of His birth, He was subject to the Law,
5. in order to pay the penalty for our freedom from the Law and so that we could become adopted children of God.
6. Because we have become His children, God has sent the Spirit of His Son to our hearts, and He calls out from us, “Abba!” which means, Father!
7. You are therefore, no longer a slave, but a child of God, and because you are His child, God has also made you His heir.
8. There was time when you did not know God during which you were slaves of useless idols.
9. However, since you have come to know Him, or rather, since He now knows you, why would you revert back to those inferior and pitiful legalistic religious rules? Do you want to become slaves Continue reading