This is the doctrine of Holy Scripture – Salvation is the work of God alone, a gracious work of God wrought for and in chosen sinners, without their aid or assistance, through the mediatorial work of the Lord Jesus Christ and the gracious, irresistible operations of the Holy Spirit. Here are seven Bible descriptions of salvation. I ask only that you read them carefully and honestly, comparing Scripture with Scripture. If you will do so, you will see clearly that “Salvation is of the LORD!”
1. “THY SALVATION” — “I have waited for thy salvation, O LORD” (Gen. 49:18). Salvation belongs to God. It is his prerogative and his work alone. He gives it and withholds it according to his own sovereign will.
2. “ETERNAL SALVATION” — “And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him” (Heb. 5:9). Salvation is an eternal work of the eternal God. It was devised and secured, predestinated and purposed, and, in the mind of God, it was performed, finished, and perfected in the covenant of grace before the world began. Read your Bible and you will see that this is so (Rom. 8:29-30; Rev. 13:8).
3. “COMMON SALVATION” — “Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints” (Jude 3). When Jude speaks of “the common salvation,” he is not telling us than God’s salvation is an ordinary thing. He is simply telling us that all God’s elect receive, experience, and possess the same salvation. The blessings and benefits of grace belong equally and fully to all who are in Christ (Eph. 1:3).
4. “YOUR OWN SALVATION” — “Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.” (Phil. 2:12). I like that! If you are saved, the salvation you have is “your own salvation.” God devised it for you. Christ purchased it for you. The Holy Spirit brought it to you and wrought it in you. It is yours forever! If you trust the Lord Jesus Christ, all that is included in that word “salvation” is your personal property and possession forever! It belongs to you by the gift of the grace of God!
5. “SO GREAT SALVATION” — “How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him” (Heb. 2:3). It comes from the great God, through the merits of our great Substitute, by the power of God’s great, Holy Spirit, to great sinners, and brings the great bounty of great grace!
6. “EVERLASTING SALVATION” — “But Israel shall be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end” (Isa. 45:17). God’s salvation is eternal both ways. It is from everlasting to everlasting.
7. “SALVATION TO OUR GOD” — “After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb” (Rev. 7:9-12). That salvation which belongs to God and comes from God shall return to God in everlasting praise.
GRACE BAPTIST CHURCH of DANVILLE – Grace For Today Radio Message #832
2734 Old Stanford Road – Danville, Kentucky 40422-9438
Donald S. Fortner, Pastor –Telephone 859-236-8235 – Email firstname.lastname@example.org