By Don Fortner
Is your pastor lying to you? Most preachers are liars. They are making merchandise of the souls of men. They have no regard for you, no regard for the honor of God, the glory of Christ, the Word of God, or for the souls of men. They preach for gain, to gain money, to gain power, or to gain prestige. They are in the best business in the world, big-business religion. They know what people like to hear, and they give it to them. Whatever it takes to keep the people coming and the money rolling in, they do. Most preachers are liars. Is your pastor lying to you?
It has come to pass in our day, as the apostle Paul predicted, the time has come when men “will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they turn away their ears from the truth, and are turned unto fables” (2 Tim. 4:3-4). Here are five fables which are commonly proclaimed in pulpits all over America today. They are lies and perversions; but these are smooth things such as people like to hear. They keep the money coming in; so preachers keep on repeating these fables.
1. We are told that “God loves everyone”. The fact is, God does not love everyone. He said that he hated Esau. He loves all who believe on Christ. But until a man believes on Christ, he has no reason to presume that God loves him. God hates every evil thing. He is angry with the wicked every day.
2. We are told that “Jesus died on the cross to save everyone in the world”. That just is not so. If Christ had suffered the penalty of God’s holy law for everyone, everyone would be saved. Our Lord said that he laid down his life for his sheep, and then turned to the Pharisees and said, “Ye are not of my sheep” (John 10:26). Christ did not die to save all the people of the world. He died to redeem, and actually did redeem, all of God’s elect, those who trust him.
3. Sinners are told that “Salvation is accomplished by a decision”. Again, this cannot be true. How many do you know who have walked a church aisle, gone to an altar, and made a decision, who were again entangled in worldly lusts within a short time? Our Lord declares, concerning all who are born again, that they “were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God” (John 1:13). Paul said, “So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that showeth mercy” (Rom. 9:16).
4. Preachers everywhere tell us that “God is trying to save everyone”. My friends, almighty God never tries to do anything. If God puts his arm to work, no one and nothing can resist him. It is not now, nor has it ever been, God’s intention to save all of Adam’s race. God’s purpose is to save his own elect, the people chosen and redeemed by him in love and grace. And he will save them. Not one of those chosen in eternal election redeemed by the blood of Christ, regenerated by the Holy Spirit, and brought to faith in Christ shall ever perish.
5. And these modern prophets of deceit tell us that “Man by his own free-will has the power either to let Christ save hims or to resist the Lord’s saving grace”. What absurdity! Can the clay resist the potter’s will? Can man resist the power of God? Man’s will is not free. It is bound by his own evil heart and nature. Left to himself, he will not and cannot come to Christ. Man’s will, like all other things, is under the power and dominion of the Son of God.
Is your pastor lying to you? Search the scriptures and see. Find someone who is boldly preaching the pure gospel of the grace of God, and hear what he says. Refuse to hear those who refuse to speak the truth of God.